Italian Passport Requirements
Once you have established Italian citizenship, you can easily start the process of obtaining an Italian passport. Italy’s passport requirements are similar to those of other countries, and if you qualify for an American passport, your chances of getting an Italian passport are excellent.
How to Apply for an Italian Passport
The process will follow the specific rules of the Italian Consulate for your region regarding format of the application, and whether it is submitted in paper form or electronically. These requirements must be met to apply for an Italian passport:
- Your application for Italian dual citizenship must have been approved and the relevant Consulate must have been officially notified of your change in status.
- Your designated Consulate will notify you that your citizenship has been registered, which grants you the right to apply for an Italian passport.
- You will request, complete, and submit the Italian passport application provided by the Consulate with translations, funds to cover the Italian passport cost, and supporting documentation as requested.
- The timeline to receive your passport may be 1-6 weeks, although some Consulates offer same-day service for dual citizens who have all vital records already on file in Italy.
- If you are a woman who changed her name at marriage, your Italian passport will display your birth, or maiden name, based on Italian law.
Do You Meet the Italian Passport Requirements?
An Italian passport offers you all the rights and benefits of an EU citizen, including additional protection from human rights violations when you travel, and access to any EU member state embassy if an Italian embassy is not available. You and your family will have access to EU countries without the need for any additional entry, educational, or work visas.
If you are wondering how to get an Italian passport for yourself and your children, we can help. The Italian American Citizenship Assistance Program can guide you through the process and assist with necessary translations and vital record searches, or help you take the first step by establishing your Italian citizenship. Call or contact us today for more information on how to exercise your right to travel under an Italian passport.